Dr. Mark Soth
Education and Professional Standing
- B.Sc., Biochemistry (Trent University),
- Medical Doctor (McMaster University),
- Internal Medicine (McMaster University),
- Respirology and Critical Care (McMaster University),
- University Teacher Programme (McMaster University).
- Dr. Soth is a clinician-educator at McMaster University. He is the Site Director for resident activities at the SJHH Site for respiratory and critical care medicine and also teaches undergraduate and postgraduate levels from these topics. In the undergraduate MD programme, he is an academic advisor, tutorial group leader and learning assistance tutor. In the respiratory residency programme and University Teacher Programme, he acts as a mentor. He has developed a web-based learning tool for mechanical ventilation, and has been awarded numerous teaching awards, including the PAIRO Senior Resident Teaching Award (2002), Watson Buchanan Clinician Educator Award (2006), Internal Medicine Sub-specialist Teaching Award (2007), and the Critical Care Teaching Award (2009).
At the SJHH site, Dr. Soth is a co-investigator for the VISION study on perioperative cardiac and respiratory events. He also leads quality assurance projects on local changes to the critical care system.
Activities and Contributions
He is active in clinical administrative leadership in the successful implementation of a Critical Care Response Team at SJHH and in re-organizing the critical care services at SJHH for improved patient care.
His clinical practice includes critical care and respiratory medicine. He has an outpatient practice in adult respiratory medicine. Throughout his clinical practice, he supervises learners of all levels including medical students and residents from numerous specialties.
Selection and Receipt of Kidney Replacement in Critically Ill Older Patients with AKI Journal Article
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 14 (4), pp. 496–505, 2019.
Comparison of standard and accelerated initiation of renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury Journal Article
Kidney Int., 88 (4), pp. 897–904, 2015.
Standard versus accelerated initiation of renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury (SŦARRŦ-AKI): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial Journal Article
Trials, 14 , pp. 320, 2013.
Intra-abdominal hypertension in the critically ill: interrater reliability of bladder pressure measurement Journal Article
J Crit Care, 28 (5), pp. 1–6, 2013.
ACP Journal Club. On-demand ordering of chest radiographs reduced the number of chest radiographs in mechanically ventilated adults Journal Article
Änn. Intern. Med.", 152 (6), pp. 3–7, 2010.